Language Placement Exam
The East Asian language exams are for students with previous language experience who wish to begin taking a language course with the department, or for CAS students who are seeking exemption from the MAP foreign language requirement. CAS students must successfully complete or place out of Intermediate II of a language in order to fulfill their MAP requriement. Only students with reading/writing abilities are required to take the exam. Students who understand the language but cannot read/write, should enroll in the heritage sections of Elementary I. SAT II, HSK Chinese proficiency test, and other exam results are not accepted.
The East Asian language exams (Korean, Japanese, Chinese) are administered by the College of Arts and Science. Please contact CAS Academic Affairs for more information on the tests and the locations. They can be reached at (212) 998-8110. Web: www.nyu.edu/cas/placementexams.Foreign language tests result in one of the following:
- Exemption from the foreign language requirement of MAP;
- Placement into a foreign language course (Elementary I & II, Intermediate I & II, Advanced I & II, post-advanced courses).
- Placement exams can only be taken once. For EAS majors/minors, if you have taken the placement exam with the department or with CAS Academic Affairs in the past and need a reassessment due to recent non-NYU language study, please contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies with the course materials from your non-NYU program. No reassessments will be made otherwise; students must enroll in the course they were placed into. The exam results are valid for the duration of the student's NYU career.
- The Japanese language placement exam is only for students who have studied Japanese in the past; they do not apply to those whose primary language is Japanese. Students for whom, Japanese is their primary language -- having completed secondary education in Japan in Japanese -- should consult the Japanese Language Coordinator before registering for an exam.
- More information about the Chinese language placement exam can be found here.